Album concept development: initial written exploration
I'm aiming to go into developing the concept behind my album without knowing the end result, to give myself over to a process of mystery and discovery. Stepping into the unknown is always edgy but it feels like the only place to begin to make art.
Exploring the voice of the song...
- What is my deepest truth behind this song? What is true in my experience at this time? What do I currently understand, knowing there’s always more to learn?
- What is the invitation in this song?
- What does living the truth of this song look like and mean to me?
- Who am I creating for?
Exploring memory & the story of the song...
- What is the situation that led to this song?
- What does this song remind me of?
- Is there a specific memory associated with this song?
Exploring the poetics of the song...
- Describe the story or the song as a room.
- What is the poetry, the sensuality of this song and story?
- If the song were an archetypal character, who would it be? Describe their outward appearance, inside information and what they're doing or thinking.
- This song is a metaphor for… unpack this
Exploring the visual expression song...
- If this song had an image, what would it be?
- If this song were an abstract painting, what would it look like?
- If this song were an artwork, what would it be made of?
"If the song had an image, what would it be? Black and white streaks falling into an infinite pools, thousands of tears shed by the sky. A triangle falling down. Water balloons full to bursting, thin skinned and vulnerable, suspended over an upright rusty nail. A pop-up book with hidden images you have to look behind (suppression, hiding). I need to hide vulnerability."